Friday, February 15, 2008

SOLIHIYA: ALY's Taste test of G5 resto






ALY’s DISH - THE TASTE TEST OF G5 RESTO CHALLENGE continues….

2nd stop : Solihiya. Let’s find out… if Solihiya is worth your Benjamins baby….

After the past few days of Chinese New Year parties and ushering in the brand new year of the Rat. My palette was ready for any simple dish I could intake for lunch. And since I had a Makeover Fashion shoot Gig in AYALA MAKATI last Feb 12, 2008....and since it’s near G5. I made a mad dash for lunch and remembered I need to check out this resto called :SOLIHIYA.

When I was a kid I was always a “ tag along” by my Dad who loves eating Chinese in the Resto “estero” of Old Binondo and in Ma Moon Luk in Cubao with its own kind of cafeterias/ pacinterias – the noise, crowd, steamy/smelly dimsums, siopao and pancit that until now remains in my consciousness. I love Binondo but due to the excruciating traffic, parking problem and busy lifestyle- no time to go there.
But wait...if you like to eat out in Binondo minus the hassle try this newest resto Solihiya in G5.

“ SOLIHIYA is a weave of different flavors that has shaped Filipino cuisine” Its a Traditional Pinoy + Chinoy comfort food that are mystically woven together.

The menu speaks of HOTOTAY a old time Ongpin favorite soup, assorted HALO (Lechon Kawali and Pata hamon crunchy and chewy dynamic duo!)cold cuts with Solihiya’s own cold cuts sauce and intersperse with Binagoongan belly and Pata Tim.

How I love to partake on this sumptuous dishes but bearing in mind I have only P 300 pesos lunch money for my own version of TASTE TESTING G5 Challenge. I need to pick something I like. So since I like dory fish, I’ve chosen their Steamed Dory Fish with soy sesame oil sauce to give my arteries a rest from last weeks KUNG HEI FAT CHOI celebrations.

THE FEEL: It's Contemporary Tropical-Urban. The interior design presented an elemental style that delights in nature. It made use of natural materials-like wood,rattan,marble and bamboo. The high ceiling dining area overlooking lush green bamboos swaying and the use of tightly woven light colored solihiya chairs paired with pressed brown bamboo laminated tables against off-white almost cream walls then accented with colorful old Chinese poster ads- gives us the glimpse of old Binondo but with a modern 20th century sensual yet practical zen like atmosphere.

English please again... It has the Binondo ancestry with a hip and modern attitude. A new kid in the block kindda thing.

THE FOOD : You’ll be surprised the server serves you three kinds of appetizers FOR FREE!!! Hard Boiled Quail eggs floating in sugarcane vinegar garnish with chopped green and red tomatoes underneath sliced cucumbers are sweet and tangy. It’s just right.

The pickled singkamas is stoically white and while the freshly made crispy candied spicy dilis is crunchier in every bite. Are great starters while waiting for Nemo’s friend to appear. For only P 210 .The Steamed Dory Fish is relatively simple but utterly wonderful, fresh and succulent-amazing indeed: SPA FOOD ANYONE? :)

Enjoy the beautiful clean fish swimming in its soy sesame oil sauce and steamed with julienned ginger and onion leaks. The dish brought a satisfied hush to this talkative foodie and is discerning to the most discriminating taste palette.

THE PRICE: The food are reasonably price.

THE SERVICE: Cheerful and helpful servers.

Overall: Solihiya is indeed a conglomeration of the Filipino and Chinese cuisine. It’s so woven tastefully with modern and hip vibe of the 20th century.
Good Food! Good eats!
I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments... Thanks for dropping by.... ;)